Before I get right into this vegan chocolate chip cookie bar recipe, I first wanted to announce that my vegan online bakery is now open!
I’ve had this dream to open my own bakery for years, and I’m very excited to finally make that dream a reality. Thank you all for the inspiring words on my Instagram post, so excited for all the things I have planned with this new project. I will continue to blog and post recipes because I honestly love writing and photography, and this blog satisfies my creativity in those ways.
Now, onto the recipe that you came here for: vegan chocolate chip cookie bars, because sometimes you want to have a thicc cookie that is in the shape of a square, instead of a circle. Sometimes you just like to have a little fun with your food, and that’s really all that we’re here for 🙂
I adapted this recipe from Lee from America’s gluten-free chocolate chip cookies, and it was a good decision indeed. I’ve been a fan of Lee from America for a hot minute, and this isn’t the first recipe of hers that I’ve tried and loved. Her tuna melt is to die for (you can sub with chickpeas if vegan) and I think about it about ten times a day. Now, I’m mostly thinking about these cookie bars because mmmm melty dark chocolate chips, gooey cookie, and chewy almond butter for the win!
These vegan cookie bars are great to bring to parties, or just to snack on by yourself as a way to enjoy a quiet Friday night in. I’m not the only one who just bakes up cookies because it’s Friday and I want to eat a bunch of cookies, right? Well, ok…
Anyway, hope you love these! If you make them be sure to take a pic and tag me on Insta! I’ve noticed some of y’all doing so lately, and I’m always thrilled to see it and repost 🙂
Lots of love to ya. Now on to the recipe.
- 2 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 ounces vegan cream cheese, room temp (Trader Joe’s makes a good one)
- 8 tbsp vegan butter
- 4 tbsp almond butter, room temp
- 1 1/2 cup packed coconut sugar (or brown sugar if you’re feeling indulgent)
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla bean powder (or extract)
- 2 flax eggs (2 tbsp flax seed, 6 tbsp water. mix in bowl, let sit five minutes)
- 3.3 oz dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line an 8×8 baking pan with parchment paper.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, whisk together flour, salt, and baking soda. Set aside.
- Melt butter in the microwave and let it cool a little bit.
- Place cream cheese, butter, almond butter and sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer and mix on medium for 2 minutes.
- Add vanilla and flax eggs. Mix on low until just combined.
- Add flour to mixture and mix until just combined.
- Add the chocolate chips and fold just a few times.
- Dump the dough into the baking pan and pat it down so that it is evenly spread and fit inside the ban.
- Bake for about 15 minutes, until just golden brown.