The waffles vs. pancakes debates rages on inside of me, and my preference flip-flops daily solely depending on what I’m craving at that moment. Today, it’s waffles. Waffles for the win! Especially when these Sparkling Apple Cider Waffles are put on the table in front of me, topped with coconut whipped cream, fresh apple slices, and peanut butter granola (just because).
Late last week the most shocking thing happened in L.A.: it rained. It rains so rarely in L.A. that when I was driving home from work and first heard the pitter-patter of water on my windshield, I was genuinely confused. I had no idea what was happening, and it wasn’t until a few seconds afterward when the water drops started to scatter across my windshield more consistently that I realized it was raining. Just a few seconds after that, I was lightning flash across the sky for the first time in at least a year. Lightning. Rain. These natural elements that are so foreign out here, but seeing them for the first time in so long made me appreciate the beauty of it even more. Nature is amazing, beautiful, and so deserving.
So, I guess this unexpected change of weather means that fall is here, hence the need to make Apple Cider Waffles. As I was pulling out my waffle iron to make these babies I thought back to when I first unwrapped this present last Christmas. The fact that I’m currently looking for flights to go home again for Christmas this year is pretty mind-blowing. Time has gone by so quickly, and I feel like 2018 will be over in a blink.
I thought back to all the waffle recipes I’ve made so far, and this new one is definitely one of my favorites. It has a crisp, fresh apple taste thanks to the addition of sparkling apple cider, one of my favorite drinks from my childhood. Plus, the unexpected but welcome addition of cornmeal gives these waffles a heartier texture, and you should know by now that for me texture 👏🏾 is 👏🏾everything 👏🏾 .
So make these waffles because fall is here, and it’s gonna be the best season. While you’re at it, check out a few of my other favorite waffle recipes down here:
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1/2 cup sparkling apple cider
- 2 eggs
- 4 tbsp butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup stone ground cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Optional toppings: 1 apple, coconut whipped cream, granola
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the milk, sparkling cider, eggs, butter, honey, and vanilla. Add the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt, stir until just combined. Batter may be lumpy, which is ok!
- Allow the batter to sit 5-10 minutes.
- Preheat your waffle iron to high heat. Ladle approximately 1/3 cup of batter into the waffle iron. Cook the waffles according to your waffle iron's directions.
- Top with thinly sliced apples, coconut whipped cream, and granola. Enjoy!
Adapted From: Half Baked Harvest