This super salad couldn’t have come at a better time.
I’ve been sick for the last few days, and to me the common cold is my kryptonite. I have such a low tolerance for discomfort, any minor sickness has me out of sorts for at least a few days. A headache keeps me bedridden. Tattoos are completely out of the question.
But I’m an adult now, and the world doesn’t pause its rotations just because the rhinovirus decided to ruin your day. So I have to keep moving. I made this superfood citrus salad to get my immune system back in order, and I liked it so much that it will become a staple in my meal prep adventures. The stars of this salad are kale, farro, and Cuties clementine wedges, all great things that I credit to my quick road to recovery.
This Kale and Farro Citrus Power Salad is not only good, it’s satisfying and such a great guilt-free meal. I like it because I feel super light after enjoying it – it’s the perfect easy meal to fall back on after a whole holiday of indulgences. And I love that you can alter this salad according to whatever you have on hand. No pistachios in your cupboard? Try almonds. Clementines out of season? Grapefruit, or even apples would do just fine. Maybe even strawberries, try it and let me know!
This is one of those recipes that are so easy you don’t really need a recipe. But I’ll leave the ratios for everything down below so you can get an idea of how I made it. But, I insist you make this with whatever you like. Cooking is about making food that you enjoy.
Kale and Farro Citrus Power Salad Tips
- To meal prep, toss the salad ingredients together (withhold the clementines) without the dressing and divide into individual containers. Add peeled clementines and dressing when ready to enjoy.
- 2 cups cooked farro
- 2 cups chopped kale (ribs removed)
- 1/2 c rough chopped fresh mint leaves
- 1 15 ounce can garbanzo beans, drained
- 5-6 clementine oranges, peeled and sliced
- ⅓ cup chopped pistachios
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh orange juice (use a squeezed clementine!)
- 1 garlic clove, pressed or minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a salad bowl, combine the cooked farro, chopped kale, garbanzo beans, orange slices, pistachios and pomegranate seeds.
- In a small bowl or jar, combine the olive oil, apple cider vinegar, garlic, salt and a few grinds of freshly ground black pepper.
- Dress the salad with the vinaigrette and toss so everything is evenly coated. Enjoy immediately