I couldn’t think of a better time to make some s’mores bars. I’ve had s’mores on my mind for quite a while now, but since it isn’t s’mores season quite yet (and this cloudy, drizzly L.A. sky was not helping set the mood at all) I resisted. But now, Memorial Day is behind us and a summer full of s’mores treats awaits! So the first s’mores-y recipe I want to share with y’all are these Golden Graham S’mores Bars.
No, these s’mores bars are unfortunately not vegan (marshmallows contain gelatin, which is sourced from cows). I have found a few vegan marshmallow recipes through Google, so in case you’re vegan but don’t want to miss out on these delicious chocolatey bars, then I recommend using that instead of store bought marshmallow!
If you’ve been following along with my blog for a while, you’ll hear me say again and again that I love a complicated recipe. Now, these homemade s’mores bars are not complicated in the classic sense, but there are a lot of steps involved in making these, which is just the kind of thing I like in my dessert recipes.
This bar has three layers: the bottom layer is a soft, graham cracker blondie, the middle layer is a healthy dollop of marshmallow fluff, and the top consists of chocolate coated Golden Grahams. It’s always been a dream of mine to use more breakfast cereal in my recipes, so I’m glad I found this recipe by Butternut Bakery which I recreated here.
This bar comes together pretty easily, but there are a couple of steps to it and a lot of rest time in between each step, so this is the kind of recipe you want to make the night before you plan to share them (or plan to eat them all by yourself). Time to eat some Golden Graham S’mores Bars, enjoy!
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg + 1 egg yolk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 6 graham crackers, crushed into crumbs
- 1 cup marshmallow fluff
Chocolate Golden Grahams
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 heaping cups Golden Grahams
- Preheat your oven to 350F and grease and line an 8×8 baking dish with parchment paper.
- Whisk together the flour, salt, and graham crackers. Set aside.
- Cream together your butter and sugars using a mixer or whisk. Then mix in the eggs and vanilla.
- Fold in the dry ingredients and spread in an even layer into your prepared pan.
- Bake for 16 minutes, take the pan out and drop it on the counter a couple times, then bake for another 5 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. This helps give us a flat base.
- When the blondies have cooled completely, spread the marshmallow fluff on top of the blondies in an even layer and place it in the fridge for about 30 minutes to set.
Chocolate Golden Grahams
- While that sets, melt the butter and chocolate in a sauce pan over medium heat. Stir until smooth.
- Mix in your Golden Grahams and stir to coat.
- Once the marshmallow layer is set, take a spoon and lightly drop dollops of the Golden Grahams on top. Gently spread it even so you don’t disrupt the marshmallow layer.
- Place it back in the fridge for about an hour to set then slice and enjoy!