This Cast Iron Skillet Fudge Brownie recipe proves to me that just about everything tastes better when it is prepared in a cast iron skillet. These skillets are such an essential item in the kitchen, whipping up everything from fried chicken to stir fries to beautiful fudge brownies like this one. And this fudge brownie is better than all the rest, because it is secretly packed with protein thanks to the addition of the chocolate Wake Up Waffles mix that I included in this recipe.
Wake Up Waffles sent me a few samples of their protein waffle mixes to experiment with because, well, my love for waffles is pretty much known to the whole wide world. But instead of simply heating up my waffle iron and making waffles with these mixes, I wanted to do something a little different and my mind at the time was stuck on the idea of making another skillet cookie recipe. I’ve already made those a couple of times (links below), so I decided to try something new, thus the Protein Cast Iron Skillet Fudge Brownie was born.
The only way this easy brownie recipe could get better is with the addition of ice cream on top, which is certainly how I’m going to eat it after finishing up this post. For extra umph and personality I also decorated the brownie with colorful sprinkles and fudge, which reminds me a lot of those epic Cosmic Brownies that I used to devour as a kid.
Instead of using chocolate chips, I used cacao nibs instead because they have so many nutritional benefits. Cacao nibs are packed with antioxidants, iron, and calcium without the added sugar that comes with chocolate chips. I find it easy to substitute chocolate chips with cacao nibs in recipes that are already naturally sweet, like this brownie. Cacao nibs don’t really melt the way that chocolate chips do, but I like the nice bite that they add to every spoonful.
While you’re at it, check out my other cast iron skillet recipes below. They’re kinda my thing, and I hope they will become your thing too! 🙂
- ¾ cup Butter
- 1¼ cup Sugar
- ¾ cup Brown Sugar
- 3 Eggs
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla
- 1 1/4 cup Wake Up Waffle Chocolate Mix (or flour if you don't have)
- ½ cup Cocoa Powder
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- ¾ cup Cacao Nibs
- Chocolate fudge and sprinkles, for topping
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Heat cast iron skillet over medium-low heat. Heat butter until melted, add sugars and stir until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat. Chill for 10 minutes in the refrigerator to bring down the temperature.
- Add eggs and vanilla and stir until smooth.
- Stir in waffle mix, cocoa powder, and salt.
- Fold in cacao nibs.
- Bake for about 30 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out almost clean.
- Top with hot fudge and sprinkles, if desired.
Adapted From: Modern Honey