Vegan White Chocolate Gingerbread Truffles
I’ll be the first to admit that I’m not a huge Halloween person. I haven’t worn a costume in about three years, despite the fact that every year I come up with elaborate costume ideas in my head, dream about the opportunity to wear them and then never actually make them happen. I always come up with three tiers of costumes, ranging from the most involved to the quick and easy. For those wondering, here are the costumes I planned out this year:
- Beyonce at Coachella
- Lana from Archer
- Arthur the Anteater
And yet, Halloween is just a few days away and I’m no closer to getting any of these costumes together than I was last year. But, one thing I have managed to make in time for Halloween are these Vegan White Chocolate Gingerbread Truffles, which are about as close as I’ll get to celebrating Halloween this year as any.
But I kinda like it that way. These gingerbread truffles are to die for, they’re super rich and decadent and made even richer and decadent-er by the luscious white chocolate coating that surrounds each of them, the extra drizzle of milk chocolate on top and the generous sprinkles of crushed gingerbread crumbs. Yum! The perfect treat to whip up for your Halloween parties as an easy, sweet finger food.
Homemade truffles in general are one of the easiest party-friendly sweets to make because the basic formula needs only three ingredients: crushed cookies, cream cheese, and chocolate coating. Of course, I ended up using Trader Joe’s Vegan Cream Cheese for this recipe and no one could even tell! their vegan cream cheese is the best substitute that I’ve tasted thus far – I give it a five star rating. Also, Trader Joe’s gingersnaps cookies are THE BEST gingersnaps on the planet. Trust me on this!
Even though I don’t always celebrate Halloween to the fullest, I’ll never be one to say no to a Halloween-inspired dessert during this time of year, or any time really!
- 20 ounces gingersnaps
- 16 ounces Trader Joe's cream cheese, softened
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 cups vegan white chocolate chips - most white chocolate on the market is accidentally vegan as they typically don't include milk (just double check the label)
- 1/4 cup vegan milk chocolate
- In a food processor, pulse the gingerbread cookies with the ground ginger, cloves, and cinnamon until the cookies are finely crushed.
- Pour the crumbs into a medium-sized bowl, reserving about 1/2 cup of the crumbs for sprinkling later.
- Add the softened cream cheese and mix with a wooden spoon until completely incorporated.
- Use the smallest ice-cream scoop you can find, or just your bare hands, roll out tiny gingerbread balls and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Once you've rolled all of the balls, place the baking sheet in the refrigerator for 60 minutes.
- Melt the vegan white chocolate by microwaving for about 2 minutes, stirring every 20 seconds so it doesn't burn. Melt the vegan milk chocolate as well in a separate small bowl.
- Insert a toothpick into each of the gingerbread balls. Use the toothpick to dunk the cookie ball into the white chocolate, submerging it completely.
- Place the chocolate covered ball back onto the parchment paper, leaving the toothpick inserted. Repeat with the next ball (this gives the first ball just enough time to set).
- Remove the toothpick from the first ball, and immediately sprinkle with the gingerbread crumbs you had set aside earlier. Try to hide the hole left behind from the toothpick with sprinkled cookie crumble. Use a folk to drizzle some of the melted vegan milk chocolate on top.
- Once you have dipped, sprinkled, and drizzled each ball, return the baking tray to the refrigerator for another hour to ensure the chocolate is entirely set.
Adapted From: Pretty Practical Pantry