Vegan Chickpea Chocolate Chip Blondies (GF)
Ok, hear me out for this one: chickpea blondies are amazing. Really, it sounds weird but it’s not. When you think about it, chickpea blondies aren’t too different than black bean brownies, or even chocolate chip zucchini bread – they are great, semi-healthy ways to bake up your favorite desserts while also telling yourself that you’re kinda eating a vegetable. And it works because they’re really good!
I like to call these Chickpea Chocolate Chip *Party* Blondies because they have two things that every good blondie needs: chocolate chips and rainbow sprinkles. These blondies are ready to party. Their red convertible is gassed up, heels as high as the heavens, with an airplane bottle of tequila tucked away in its purse…these chickpea blondies are pretty much who I want to be on a Friday night. The real me on a Friday night more closely resembles a shriveled potato but we all like to dream.
One more advantage to making these vegan chickpea blondies is that they are accidentally gluten free – the pureed chickpea + nut butter combination gives this that wonderfully most, dense flavor that we all love in our blondies and brownies – no flour necessary! I was a tiny bit skeptical about this part at first (not because these blondies are made out of chickpeas, but the fact that they are flourless made me raise one eyebrow) but the texture is actually perfect. I dare you to bring these blondies to a party and see if anyone notices that they are healthier and, dare I say it, even yummier than the real thing.
Now, I strongly believe that there are few things that can substitute a really good slice of cake, brownie, or cookie, but I love when I’m able to find recipes that taste like the real thing, and give me the piece of mind that I’m doing a tiny bit of good to my body at the same time. Try this, you’ll love it!
- Cooking Spray
- 15 oz chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 c peanut butter, or almond butter
- 1/3 c maple syrup or agave nectar (I use honey because I'm not 100% vegan)
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/3 c + 2 tbsp chocolate chips (Trader Joe's is accidentally vegan!)
- 1/3 c + 2 tbsp rainbow sprinkles
- coarse sea salt, for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and spray 8x8 inch pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a food processor, add all ingredients except chocolate chips and sprinkles and process until batter is smooth.
- Fold in 1/3 cup of chocolate chips and sprinkles with a wooden spoon. Batter will be thick and yummy!
- Spread batter evenly in prepared pan then sprinkle 2 tablespoons of chocolate chips and sprinkles on top.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean and edges are just starting to brown.
- Cool pan for 20 minutes on wire rack. Sprinkle with sea salt then cut into squares.
Adapted From: Ambitious Kitchen