Vegan Cherry Garcia Ice Cream
Chocolate and cherries are just two flavors that work together, don’t they? And just about everything tastes better when it’s made into ice cream, hence the latest adventure I undertook with my ice cream maker – Vegan Cherry Garcia ice cream, which is a pretty yummy and clean copycat of the classic Ben & Jerry’s flavor!
No, I’m not vegan, but I do enjoy vegan dishes and I love flexing my culinary muscles to try and make some of my favorite foods vegan or vegetarian. It’s fun stepping outside of what you’re used to and trying something different, and this vegan cherry and chocolate ice cream really hit the spot in a lot of ways.
First off, the base is made with vegan coconut ice cream, which is just as yummy as it sounds. I love all things coconut flavored (might be the Caribbean in me) but I know coconut can be polarizing. This vegan ice cream does have a coconut-y taste to it that isn’t overpowering, but it’s definitely there. If you’re not a fan of coconut, I’m sure you could try making your own vegan ice cream base of our cashew milk or even almond milk. I personally have not tried those yet, but I don’t see why it couldn’t work!
The rest of the ingredients are as simple as can be – I just added chopped cherries and vegan chocolate chunks to the ice cream base and it churned, and after about 20 minutes I had smooth, soft-serve quality homemade vegan ice cream! But I think this ice cream is best served when frozen to a more scoop-able texture, that way you the cherry and chocolate mix-ins don’t just sink to the bottom but are incorporated into every yummy spoonful.
After the vegan ice cream is finished churning, transport it into a freezer-safe container. You can use a metal bread loaf pan, or find a ton of ice cream containers on Amazon (I have this one in pink). Freeze overnight, or at least 4 hours until hardened. And you’re done!
Hope my non-vegan brothers and sisters try this yummy vegan ice cream recipe, it’s so good and I could not stop eating it when it was done. Hope you love it too!
- 28 oz coconut cream/milk
- 100 g granulated sugar
- Pinch sea salt
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 c chopped cherries (if using frozen, thaw)
- 1 c vegan chocolate chunks
- Freeze ice cream churning bowl overnight until solid.
- Blend together coconut milk, sugar, sea salt, and vanilla extract until creamy and smooth for 1-2 minutes to fully dissolve the sugar. Adjust mixture with more sugar or vanilla, to taste.
- Add mixture directly to chilled ice cream maker and churn according to manufacturer’s instructions. If your machine allows you to add mixins, pour in cherries and chocolate chunks once your mixture solidifies a bit (about 5 minutes) and churn until finished. If your machine cannot handle it, wait until churning is complete before mixing them in. My machine makes ice cream in about 20 minutes!
- Once churned, transfer the ice cream to a large freezer-safe container and use a spoon to smooth the top.
- Freeze for at least 4 hours or until firm.
Adapted From: Minimalist Baker