Sausage, Pepper, and Cauliflower Rice Skillet
This sausage, pepper, and cauliflower rice skillet is one of my favorite recipes, not only because it tastes amazing but also because it’s one of those classic recipes from my childhood that I’ve given a little twist. Growing up, we always had smoked kielbasa in the house and one of those quick, weeknight meals my mom would make for use was pan-fried sausage with white rice. It was simple, and good enough to satisfy my non-picky preteen food needs. But now I’m older, somewhat wiser and making an old family recipe even better.
Sausage, meet garlic, bell peppers, and cauliflower rice. Hi. Get comfortable over there because y’all are about to be great friends.
I can’t be the only person who talks to my food like they’re people. Yes? Oh ok.
This recipe is so easy because it can seriously be done in 20 minutes, and all of these ingredients are easy to find in the grocery store (no need to spend two hours store-hopping after an already long day at work), and better yet this recipe is pretty healthy. I swapped out white rice with cauliflower rice and I swear there is no taste difference. Seriously, I dare you to try it. This has to be one of my favorite ways to eat more cauliflower rice, which I’m kinda obsessed with at the moment (along with everyone else in the health and wellness circuit).
Yum. I almost forgot to mention the sauce here – it’s super simple, just some veggie stock with tomato paste to give it an even more savory flavor. Speaking of savory – the secret to getting that fire Cajun umami in this recipe is a healthy shake of Lawry’s Seasoned Salt, which should be in every kitchen in America tbh.
Dare you to find a better sausage and pepper recipe than this. Give it a try and leave me a comment on Instagram to let me know what you think!
- 2 c. cauliflower rice
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 12 oz package smoked sausage
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, sliced
- 1 small white onion, quartered and sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp seasoned salt
- pinch of black pepper
- 5 tbsp. tomato paste
- 3/4 c low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
- Chopped green onions, to serve
- Place a cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Once the skillet is hot, add the oil. Once the oil simmers, add the sausage and cook until browned on both sides, about 5 minutes. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add the peppers and onion into the skillet, saute for 4-5 minutes. Add garlic, seasoned salt, and pepper, cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Remove from the pan and set aside with the sausage.
- Add the tomato paste and 3/4 cup of vegetable broth, whisk to combine. Allow the mixture to simmer for 1 minute, then add the paprika and cayenne.
- Stir in the cauliflower rice, sausage, pepper and onions until combined. Garnish with chopped green onions, and serve.
Adapted From: Life Made Simple Bakes