Korean-Style Zoodles with Beef Meatballs
Ok, I’ve officially bought a season pass ticket to the Zoodle train. If you’re tired of me talking about these delicious, veggie noodles from heaven then…sorry not sorry. I’ve got another zoodle recipe up my sleeve, this time in the form of Korean Style Zoodles with Beef Meatballs. This keto-friendly recipe has everything: veggies, protein, saucy deliciousness, and fiber. Yes, fiber, because these savory meatballs are made with GG Crispbread crackers as a binder, which is a sneaky way to add extra fiber to your diet!
I first made meatballs with GG Crackers wayyy back at the end of last year with my GG Crispbread Turkey Meatballs recipe (link to it here), and it remains one of my most popular blog recipes to date. Back then, I had just found out about the wonderfulness that is the GG Cracker, and was trying out different recipes with them. Check out that post for more details on these magic crackers and why you need to start eating them too.
The star of this dish though is really the yummy, umami sauce that is basted all around the juicy meatballs and zoodles. I’ve heard from a few people that when they attempt to make Asian-inspired recipes at home, that it lacks that distinctive umami flavor that we love in recipes from that side of the world. I find that the taste that is typically missing from those homemade recipes is either sesame, ginger, and/or soy sauce. A combination of these three things should be included in any homemade dish that aims to recreate that Asian-inspired flavor. They work in tandem really well in dishes like these.
I can’t really tell you the last time I had actual pasta, and that’s because zoodles have been all I really need lately. Really! If you haven’t hopped on the veggie noodle train yet I’m selling tickets at the door. I’ll wait.
CLICK HERE for my Zucchini Noodles Pad Thai Recipe
- 1/2-1 cup GG Crispbread crumbs
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/3 cup reduced sodium soy sauce
- 2-3 tablespoons light brown sugar, to taste
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 lbs spiralized zucchinis
- Mix all of the meatball ingredients into a medium-sized bowl. Start with 1/2 cup of GG Crispbread crumbs and add more if needed to hold the mixture together. Break off about 12 small pieces and roll them into balls.
- 2. Heat the oil in cast-iron skillet over medium heat. Add the meatballs and brown evenly on all sides, turning occasionally for an even sear. Once meatballs are browned, set them aside on a plate.
- In a small bowl, whisk together brown sugar, soy sauce, ginger, and sesame oil.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add in the cooked meatballs and sauce, and heat until just simmering. Add zucchini noodles and toss together for about 2 minutes, until just heated through. Cook them too long and they'll release too much water and become soggy.
- Serve with chopped green onions.
Adapted From: Damn Delicious