Kale Salad with Curried Couscous and Roasted Butternut Squash
I am so happy with all of the yummy things happening in this salad.
My salads have to have a lot going on in order to get me excited, and this one does just that. I’m all about the toppings, so I made this kale salad with homemade curried couscous, pecans, roasted butternut squash, micro greens, and avocado. Yum!
This salad is easy to throw together, and I cheated a little bit by using pre-packaged Sweet and Spicy pecans from Trader Joe’s, and I also used their bottled Green Goddess Dressing to serve it with. The roasted butternut squash is so easy to whip up yourself though, and has a nice touch of cinnamon and brown sugar to balance out the tartness of the kale. And of course there is avocado, because avocado goes with everything.
My favorite part of this salad though is the homemade curried couscous. It is such a fresh and simple dish to make, and I don’t know why couscous isn’t more of a regular dish in my home. I may start using it in place of rice, because it literally takes less than 5 minutes to make and you can dress it up in so many different ways. I’d love to try many more dishes using couscous!
- 1 1/2 cups couscous
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups boiling water
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup dried raisins
- 1/4 cup blanched, sliced almonds
- 1/4 cup small-diced red onion
- 3 TBS coconut oil, melted
- 1 TBS dark brown sugar
- 1/4 TSP cinnamon
- a pinch of salt & pepper
- 1 lb butternut squash, cut into precise 3/4″ cubes
- 10 oz chopped kale
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 TB apple cider vinegar
- Pinch granulated sugar
- Pecans, micro greens, avocado, for topping
- Place the couscous in a medium bowl. Melt the butter in the boiling water and pour over the couscous. Cover tightly and allow the couscous to soak for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
- Whisk together the yogurt, olive oil, vinegar, curry, turmeric, salt, and pepper. Pour over the fluffed couscous, and mix well with a fork. Add the parsley, raisins, almonds, onions, mix well, and season to taste.
- Pre-heat oven to 425F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil and spray with nonstick oil.
- Place the cubed butternut squash in a large mixing bowl. Combine the coconut oil, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt & pepper, in a small bowl, whisking well until smooth, then pour over the butternut squash. Stir ingredients with a wooden spoon until are cubes are evenly coated, then transfer to the greased baking sheet. Roast squash at 425F for 30 – 35 minutes until caramelized, golden, and crispy.
- in a mixing bowl combine the olive oil, apple cider vinegar, and sugar. Drizzle about 2 TBS of the dressing over the kale and gently massage until all leaves are just barely coated, adding more if needed.
- Transfer kale to a serving bowl of plate and top with curried couscous, butternut squash, micro greens, pecans, avocado, and dressing of your choice. Enjoy!
Credit: Ina Garten, Wry Toast Eats