Grain-free Blueberry Banana Waffles
Waaaafffllesss. These superheroes are beginning to slowly creep their way into my circle of favorite breakfast foods. In fact, I’m shocked at how few waffle recipes I’ve shared with y’all over the year given that they are so much fun to make. Especially when you’re making grain-free waffles with blueberry and banana, and drizzles of honey on top. Ooooh yeah, that’s what I’m talking about.
I got a waffle maker for Christmas last year while I was visiting my family back home in Atlanta, and you bet I made room in my suitcase to bring that baby back. I’ve made waffles quite a few times since then, because the waffle maker makes cooking waffles an engaging experience that transforms my eyes into heart emojis each and every time. And I’m so happy to have found a waffle recipe that is not made with flour, as my recent low-carb journey has been pretty successful so far. Luckily, although I avoid grains about 90% of the time these days there are so many other healthy alternatives out there. And I almost always have almond flour laying around my kitchen due to my propensity to whip up macarons at any given time (check out this double chocolate macaron recipe to see what I’m talking about).
This homemade waffle recipe is really one of a kind because it is light and airy, with a crispy outside and melty inside, just the way waffles should be. Some waffle recipes are super cakey and dense, but I’m more a fan of waffles that have a lighter consistency, which is just what you get with these waffles. That’s because this recipe starts out with an egg white meringue, which makes all the difference.
You can add just about anything to these yummy waffles – I chose to mix in blueberries and place bananas on top. The trick to having the bananas incorporated into the batter without making it weirdly lumpy is to place the sliced banana on top of batter as soon as the batter is poured into the waffle maker, and then add a bit more batter on top just to seal them in. Yum. You’re in for a treat!
Oh, and CLICK HERE for my Chocolate Chip Brownie Waffles Recipe.
- 1 large egg (separated)
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 2 tbsp almond butter
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 c blueberries
- 1 sliced banana
- Preheat the waffle iron to high heat. Grease lightly with non-stick spray
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, beat the egg white to stiff peaks. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine almond flour, honey, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a small bowl in the microwave, melt together the butter and almond butter. Whisk together, then add this mixture to the dry flour bowl.
- Add the yolk, almond milk, and vanilla to the batter. Stir until smooth.
- Fold the egg whites into the batter. Mix until incorporated, but be careful not to break down the whites too much. The batter should be light and fluffy.
- Spoon half the batter into the lightly greased waffle iron. Close and cook until steam stops coming out, about 5 minutes. Unplug and let cool slightly in the waffle iron to make the waffle easier to remove. (It will crisp up as it goes from hot to warm.) Repeat with the remaining batter.
Adapted From: Wholesome Yum