Chocolate Chip Brownie Waffles
I think about my waffle maker a lot. Like, a lot alot. I’m always dreaming up new things that I can make with it besides just waffles. And then suddenly the idea hit me: brownie waffles. Chocolate chip brownie waffles. This may be my best craving ever.
These brownie waffles taste as phenomenal as they look, especially because they are loaded with yummy chocolate chips that melt in your mouth with every bite. I think I can officially say that I love making brownies in my waffle iron more than traditional waffles, especially because the texture is so much better.
If you’ve been reading my blog for a minute, I talk about the texture of foods a lot. While regular waffles get soggy after sitting out, these waffle maker brownies actually get better over time. They’ll crisp up after a few minutes out of the iron, and the flavors will deepen. Every bite is like eating the crispy edges of a traditional brownie, so it’s 100% the yummiest recipe I’ve ever made.
My waffle was done after about 5 minutes in my waffle maker which was set to medium-high heat, but your total time will vary depending on your appliance. When I lifted this waffle out of the iron, it was so soft that it immediately broke apart along the seams, but I didn’t mind that too much. I ended up topping half of the waffle with cacao nibs and the other half with sprinkles, and the entire waffle got a generous swirl of Hershey’s chocolate fudge.
Now before you scroll on, tell me if you’re team chocolate-chocolate or team chocolate-sprinkles. There’s no wrong answer here, and in fact I think taking option C (both), is the best move.
Chocolate Chip Brownie Waffles Tips
- Stir the batter together until just combined; overstirring can lead to tough, sad waffles
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 5 tablespoons melted unsalted butter
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 water
- 2/3 cups chocolate chips
- Melt the butter; set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl mix the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Beat the eggs, vanilla extract, and water in a small bowl. Whisk the egg mixture into the dry mixture, then quickly mix in the melted butter. Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Heat your waffle iron. Pour one-third of the batter into the waffle iron, enough to get an even coat from edge-to-edge, close and cook for approximately 5 minutes, or until done.
- Lift waffle out of the iron and set aside on a cooling rack as you cook the rest of the batter.
- Serve with toppings of your choice! Try chocolate syrup, sprinkles, and whipped cream.
Credit: A Spicy Perspective