Chicken Butternut Squash Bowl
These last few weeks have been crazy, crazy busy! And when things in my life start getting crazy, my good food habits are usually one of the first things to go. I meal prep pretty much every Sunday, and on the rare occasions where I miss that I’m left scrambling to figure out what I’m going to eat that week, which normally results in something that is carby, wrapped in plastic, and high in sugar. Which is exactly what I like, but not what I need, you know?
This Chicken Butternut Squash Bowl was the result of me being surprisingly productive during the week, and throwing together a meal from ingredients that I already had in my fridge and pantry. It has all the good things: fresh, roasted veggies that taste like a cozy fall day, and the perfect balance of carbs, protein, and fat. The fat comes from a secret ingredient that is mixed in with the ground chicken: walnuts! I was first introduced to the chicken-walnut combo sometime last year and I’m not mad at it. The walnuts provide a nice crunchy texture to this bowl, and I’m allll about that texture.
The weather in L.A. has been so strange lately, where it feels like fall during the day but strangely heats up around the afternoon, and this quick weeknight recipe is a reflection of that. It’s got butternut squash, kale, and all those warm, filling vibes that we love about this changing season. Right now I’m feeling quite like the weather: teetering on the edge of transition, and I’m quite excited about it. More will be revealed soon (promise) but in the meantime I hope you enjoy this healthy quinoa bowl!
While you’re at it, take a look at a few of my other favorite healthy recipes.
CLICK HERE: Spicy Shrimp Bowl
CLICK HERE: Chocolate Quinoa Breakfast Bowl
CLICK HERE: Vegan Caesar Salad Dressing
- 1 lb. ground chicken
- 1/3 cup walnuts, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 medium-sized butternut squash, cubed into 1/2" cubes
- 1 bunch of kale, chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 cup of dry quinoa
- 1 teaspoons garlic, minced
- black pepper, sea salt, and red pepper flakes to taste
- pinch of nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- In a large bowl, toss together cubed butternut squash with 2 tablespoons olive oil, sea salt and pepper. Pour in a single layer onto a baking sheet lined with foil and set aside.
- Place chopped kale on a second baking sheet lined with foil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place both the squash and kale in the oven and bake for 30 minutes, stirring once. Check on the kale every 5-10 minutes to make sure it doesn't burn. You'll know they're ready once the butternut squash is soft and lightly roasted. The kale should be wilted but not too browned.
- Meanwhile, cook quinoa according to package directions and set aside.
- Add 1 tablespoon olive oil to a cast iron skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add in garlic and cook, stirring frequently for about 1 minute. Add in ground chicken and cook, again stirring frequently, until chicken is cooked through. Add in walnuts, apple cider vinegar, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes and nutmeg and reduce heat to low, allowing vinegar to reduce for a couple minutes.
- Arrange each plate (or plastic container if meal prepping) withe quinoa, kale, butternut squash, and chicken. Enjoy!
Inspired By: Yeah...Imma Eat That