Beef and Broccoli
The period between Christmas and New Year’s is the strangest in-between. It’s like standing with your toes on the edge of a table, throwing your arms out, leaning forward and falling very slowly. These last few days before the beginning of the new year are crawling by, and I’m trying to take it in and use these last few days to sort myself out for 2018.
I don’t make New Year’s Resolutions, rather I write down a list of goals that I want to accomplish that year. It doesn’t involve weight loss, major purchases, changes to my personality or immediate surroundings, but my list is more of a reinforcement of my values and priorities. My goals involve strengthening relationships, facing problems with a positive mindset, continuing my independence.
As I’m thinking about my goals for next year, this recent beef and broccoli recipe has been on my mind because it’s such tasty comfort food full of coziness and umami. It’s a warm hug, a savory salty paradise where I can mull over the future. I bet you’ve never heard of beef and broccoli described so deeply before, right? But this recipe is just that, the peaceful transition we need as we ease into the oncoming new year.
When I make this broccoli beef recipe of course sticky white rice is my carb of choice to serve along with it. This recipe makes a lot of sauce and having a starch underneath to soak it up is a heaven that is only described in poems. But I’ve been on a fiber kick lately, and recently enjoyed this over a bed of green lentils, and my tummy was so satisfied and happy afterward.
What’s on your mind as the new year approaches?
- 1 pound flank steak sliced into 1/4 inch thick strips
- 3 cups small broccoli florets
- 1/2 cup beef stock
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons corn starch
- Toss sliced beef in a large bowl with corn starch.
- Heat canola oil in a pan over medium heat for a few minutes. Add sliced beef and cook until it browns, a few minutes, stirring frequently. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Add broccoli and garlic to the pan, and stir. Add beef broth. Let simmer until the broccoli is tender, about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- While waiting for the broccoli to cook, combine all of the sauce ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
- Add the reserved beef and sauce to the pan, and stir. Let simmer for 5 minutes so the sauce thickens a bit.
- Serve beef and broccoli over cooked white rice.